09 December 2008

3: Wacky Things People Do

Yes, yes, people do wacky things all the time. It's part of what keeps me smiling. But some of the wacky things people do fall outside of the norm and make me feel the need to chronicle them.

1. Wear shorts and a tank top. Okay, in and of itself, not weird. In 31 degree (Fahrenheit) weather? Downright nutty. I ran a 5K on Sunday and it was, literally, freezing out. And running is one of those thing that, although it might be miserably cold out, you need to keep in mind that you'll be working up a sweat and don't want to wear too much clothing, because then you might get chilled if you sweat too much. But, I was fine in my pants, three shirts, jacket, ear-cover thingy and gloves. The dude in shorts and a tank top? I dunno how he fared, I just saw him at the starting line, but... I hope he didn't get frostbite. Seriously, short-shorts, tight tank top (it was an old guy, natch, with spindly legs and arms) and he looked like he was already sweating. Maybe... yeah, I've got nothing.

2. Park halfway on the sidewalk. Heading home from the 5K, we're stopped at a stop sign and look to the right. And there's an old, beat-up, low-end two-door sedan (not that any of that is pertinent, other than that it made the car stand out anyway) parked at the close end of the block. And, it was parked just about halfway on the sidewalk next to the road. Like, it was at a 45 degree angle to the road. Maybe...it was dark when the driver parked? So dark that s/he couldn't see the road?

3. Sing loudly while walking. Coming home from work last night, I was rather exhausted and just wanted to get home, grab a bite to eat, curl up with a book and fall asleep early. So, it wasn't the most peppy walk home. At about a block from my apartment, I hear the dude coming in my direction singing. Loudly. Like, shout-singing. Some sort of hip-hop/rap type song, but I could tell what. Interesting. As I get to within about 10 feet of him, he busts out: "I'm not always there when you call, but I'm always on time." Dude was belting out some J. Lo. Totally, totally awesome. I'm glad it was dark out, because I grinned the whole rest of the way home (which was about half a block).

No comments: