Not all of these are inherently Christmas cookies, per se. Some are just cookies that, for some reason, my friends and family make only around the holidays. I should point out: I love cookies. Especially my mom's cookies, but pretty much all cookies. In fact, I took a day off work to go to my mom's house and bake cookies all day. I had cookies for lunch and cookies for dinner (yes, an entire meal, both times...it's amazing I didn't lapse into some sort of sugar-imbalance coma). So, cookies = good, in my world.
1. Peppermint bark. Mint cookies are more Christmasy, I think, for some reason. Because it's cold outside? And mint is cooling and refreshing? That logic seems to point to summertime mint cookies, but...peppermint bark is decidedly Christmastime, in my world. Dark chocolate, white chocolate, peppermint candies...delish!
2. Peanut butter bark. It closely follows its peppermint cousin. Same general concept, same level of awesome. Every year at Christmas, there are two containers in the fridge: peppermint and peanut butter bark. I don't think I'd know what to do with myself without them. Seriously, barring all other cookie baking (which I consider important, but not essential), the barks must. be. made. Every year.
3. Apricot confections. They're a legacy of my paternal grandmother. They've got dried apricots and almond slivers and a sugary sweet glaze thing going on. And, for as long as I can remember, they've always been made in the same holly-patterned mini-muffin liners. A classic sign of Christmas.
4. Pecan sandies. Enough of the not-quite-cookies for the list, pecan sandies are cookie delightfulness. I love nuts (that's a loaded statement...), and powdered sugar. And these are often made just bite-sized enough. Plus, you can never go wrong with shortbread, which leads me too...
5. Checkerboard cookies. Chocolate and vanilla shortbreads, two of each, it a four-square shortbread cookie. They're one of my mom's favorites, and with good reason. Like I said, shortbread is amazing (other than all that butter...or because of it, I suppose). And these cookies aren't overly sweet, so they're a good compliment to other treats that are.
6. Peanut butter surprises. Y'know, the little peanut butter cookies with a mini peanut butter cup in the middle. Again, there's really nothing that screams "Christmas" about these, but that's when they get made in my world.
7. Rolo cookies. Chocolate cookie with a rolo in the middle, rolled in pecan pieces. So that you get a caramel filled cookie. I have no idea who came up with the idea, but I'd like to thank them. That person is a hero among heroes. I have a cousin who does a big Christmas cookie baking project every year, and these are among the cookies they make. So, now I associate them with Christmas cookies.
8. Star brownies. Another favorite of my mother's (aw, who am I kidding, we both love cookies, pretty much all cookies). This is a special brownie recipe that only comes out at Christmas time and a special star-shaped cookie cutter that is really a brownie cutter, since it's used for nothing but these brownies. And, each little star has a red or green M&M in the middle.
9. Snowballs. A new classic. And the snowball thing fits the Christmas theme, so we know when to make 'em... Maraschino cherry, with shortbread cookie coating, white chocolate layer and rolled in coconut. The things seriously look like little snowballs. But, they taste much better.
10. Thin mints. Not the Girl Scout cookie, but fashioned after it. My best friend's mom made these one Christmas in high school and I've been a fan ever since. Once again, it's minty, so it gets that Christmas designation for some unfathomable reason.
11. Mint candies. I have never met the person who makes these, but they're buttery little mint candies and they're probably the most unhealthy thing on the list (and that's saying something). Oh, but they melt in your mouth and taste oh so delightful.
12. Gingerbread cookies. The classic. And, I just got ABC (already been chewed) cookie cutters for Christmas. They're gingerbread men with bites out of various body parts. I might have to break some rules and make some post-holiday gingerbread men.
13. Molasses cookies. I saved the best for last. Oh my goodness, I'm not sure I can begin to explain my deep, deep love of these cookies. Here's an example: I told my mother I wasn't coming to Christmas if there weren't molasses cookies. And we both knew I was serious. I mean, it's not that there was ever any question and I ended up making them myself when I was over there on my marathon cookie day, but...LOVE. And they're molasses so they're wintertime only. But I love them so much (in case you hadn't picked up on that). In fact, excuse me, I need to go get one...
26 December 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment