I spent most of the week in kind of a funk. One of those nothing's-really-wrong-but-nothing's-all-that-great-either sort of moods. It was rainy all week and, while I love the rain, I think that has some deeper psychological effect. I didn't get to sleep in or stay home and watch movies to enjoy it (which is how rain should be enjoyed, I think). And, work was kind of blah. But, when I got home from work on Friday and checked my mail, there was a package. Hmmm, I thought, I didn't order anything...wonder what it is. So, I went to the office to pick it up. It was from my uncle, which made me smile. I rushed back to my apartment and opened it. It was a Phillies World Champs t-shirt. Totally awesome. And it broke through my funk and allowed me to observe these things last night:
1. A bizarre looking car that was...and ugly new Jaguar. Seriously, people? Aren't Jags supposed to be sleek and prestigious? This was just...sorta fugly. Well, the trunk/back half anyway. I didn't get a good look at the front, but the car just looked like a non-descript/sorta ugly sedan. So much for the Jaguar.
2. This one requires a little setup: I volunteer as an ESL (English as a second language) tutor. I was tutoring last night and we started by going over a list of short vowels/long vowels words. It's a stumbling block for him--understandably so, I think--and something we'll keep working on. That's not the baffling thing, though. Later we were going through a list of things that required identifying people and writing "the lady in picture c" or the kid in picture a," etc. So, he's writing this list and starts using the " notation for the-same-as-above. Which was kind of awesome, but I find it amazing the things we pick up on and remember and the things that can be more complicated. Learning is weird.
3. Then I went to the grocery store and walked through a solid aisle of Christmas candy. It's November. Mid-November, not post-Thanksgiving November. I know that there's not generally a lot of Thanksgiving candy, but c'mon people. It's still a little early for Christmas stuff. And, we just got over the glut of Halloween candy. Plus, I didn't know there was so much Christmas candy out there in the first place. I mean, you've got red/green M&Ms and red/green wrappers for all the traditional candies and maybe Christmas tree shaped Reeses Peanut Butter Cups (mmmmm, yummy), but...this was more. Like a variety back of mint-themed Hershey's Miniatures. And all sorts of bell-shaped candies. And...I don't even know. I was a little overwhelmed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment