I've been in sort of a funk lately, for some unknown reason. It's not work (which is not great, but really not funk-worthy, either); it's not family or friends. So, I dunno. It's springtime, the daffodils (my favorite flower) are blooming, it's light out so I can go running in the evenings. I've decided that it's time to be in a better mood, so I've been thinking about good things, that make me smile/feel proud/optimistic. They are:
1. Having favorite restaurant. I love food, I like going out to eat well enough--but I can't eat out too often, it gets on my nerves. So, I've always had restaurants that I like and some that I liked better than others, but I've never had a favorite. That place that you'd go to all the time. The place that always springs to mind when trying to decide where to go. Now I do. There's a new Thai food place a couple of blocks from me and it is awesome. I totally love it. And, I like that I now have a favorite restaurant.
2. Taking a half day. I had carryover vacation time that was set to expire at the end of the month, so I've started making plans for it. And I had a random half day left, so I decided to take it today. For no good reason, just because it was a Thursday and I could. Let me tell you, it was pretty amazing. I slept in (well, for me it was sleeping in), I got some laundry and dishes done. I watched TV. And then, I went to work for a little bit. It was good to have some me-time, though. And not a weekend, that's different. Just time that was totally mine.
3. Cookies for dinner. I didn't know what I felt like eating tonight, so I was scrounging around the kitchen. I wasn't too hungry, but definitely wanted something to eat. Checked the cabinets. Eh, could make pasta. Looked in the fridge, nothing too exciting there. Opened the freezer. Bingo! An open box of Thin Mints. So, my dinner? A sleeve of Girl Scout cookies.
4. Buying fun, but necessary, things. I've been training for a 5K in just over a week. My running sneakers are a couple of years old at this point. Still more than serviceable, but I was starting to get a tingly feeling in my left foot when I run. So, I decided to get a new pair of running shoes. I went to my local running store at lunchtime. It's always kind of a treat to go in there, I think. I like just telling the person what I want (running shoes, good, but not excessive, arch support, size 9) and they just bring out a couple pair, I try 'em on, pick the ones I like. There's less pressure to pick one off the wall, but I still have options. And I did need a new pair, so it was totally over the top to spend way too much money on new sneakers. I also got a new pair of shorts, but it's not quite warm enough for them yet. Still, I'll be totally prepared when it is.
5. Wandering around the grocery store. I needed milk Tuesday night (I had a cereal-less morning on Tuesday and it was tragic. Talk about starting the day on the wrong foot. I was not a happy camper.), so I went to the grocery store. And it was packed. Long lines, etc. All I really needed was milk, but I was going to be forced to stand in line for forever. Instead, I wandered around the grocery store, which I love. And, I remembered that I needed tahini (sesame seed paste, for making hummus), so I wandered around and finally found that (in the produce section, which seems to be the home of all things I can't find elsewhere (last time it was wonton wrappers)). Then I just spent time wending my way through the isles. By the time I was bored, all I had in my basket was milk, tahini and flour, so it wasn't like I went to excess, but the lines died down and I wasn't frustrated by standing still, instead I was amused by walking around. It was a great compromise, since I wasn't in a hurry.
02 April 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment