I took my first true vacation in about a year and a half last week. I mean, real as in going away from home, have to get a pet sitter, don't do any work vacation. 'Twas grand.
1. Actually taking vacation. Yes, yes, the best thing about vacation is... that it's vacation. That's a bit of circular reference, I know. But, it's so nice to do it and just get away and relax. Spending time with family is nice, and even more so when you can get away, not just hang out at home over the holidays. So, making the effort to go on vacation rocks.
2. Not thinking about work. Yeah, again, sort of in the definition, but with remote access and email and whatnot, it's easy to fall into the, I'll-just-check-in habit. I didn't. All week. I decided that I'll deal with whatever needs dealing with on Monday morning. When I'm at work.
3. Sharing the love of snow tubing. Now, for the more this-vacation-specific stuff. I got together with college friends, which was delightful, not surprisingly. And, I suggested snow tubing, since it's something we could all do together (rather than skiing). And, it's glorified sledding, but you don't have to walk back up the hill, you get to ride. It's _awesome_. And everyone else seemed to think so, too (I don't think anyone else had been before). It's always nice to do something you enjoy with friends.
4. Not having easy access to TV. I looooooove television. It's a bit of an addiction. But, up in the mountains, we only got NBC and CBS and sort of ABC and not really FOX. And, when it was daytime TV, that's all there was. And when it was evening news time, that's all there was. I'm so used to my DVR and cable that it was...weird at first. But liberating, because it was either, watch one of the two-ish available shows, watch a movie, or find something else to do.
5. Reading. Yeah, I do that at home, too. But it's nice to have a reading-dedicated afternoon.
6. Eating out. Especially at Piggy's Restaurant. I adore going out for breakfast. I dunno if it's because I always just have cereal and it's a nice treat to have cooked breakfast foods. Or, if it's that I don't go out to eat all that often, and it's just a special treat. There's something about it, though. And Piggy's Restaurant rocks. Possibly my favorite restaurant. So efficient. A mid-sized, one-room, jammed-in (but not too close) tables, constant coffee refills, awesome mini blueberry muffins place. And, the food is delicious.
7. Scenery. It snowed most of the weekend and the lake was frozen over. The snow clung to the trees and the lake was a sea of white. Sunsets from the side of a mountain are breathtaking. Riding up a ski lift is oddly serene. Bringing wood in from the wood pile is somehow very satisfying. I live in a picturesque area, and I appreciate that, but a change of beautiful scenery is always appreciated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment