20 August 2007

7: Distinctly Philadelphia Activities

One of the many joys of moving back to the Philly area is the ability to do these things.

1. Wawa. It is simply not possible for me to overstate my deep, abiding love for Wawa. I...just...that's all I can say. I flipping ADORE me some Wawa. I once considered getting a job there just so I could get a Wawa t-shirt. I'm not even kidding. In fact, there's a vague possibility that I still might do that. Oh, Wawa, I love thee.

2. Listened to KYW radio. It's my morning alarm setting and a sound of my childhood. The traffic-and-transit-on-the-twos, the shore/mountains weather at :28 or :58, the business news at :25 or :55, and the beeps on the half- and whole-hours, among other things, give me confidence that I'll always know what's going on. "Give us 22 minutes and we'll give you the world."

3. Heard Harry Kalas/ listened to the Phillies on the radio/watched a Phillies game on TV/went to a Phillies game just because. While it saddens me to realize just how old Harry Kalas is, it warms my heart and puts an unavoidable smile on my face to hear his voice. If listening to KYW comforts me, listening to the Phillies on the radio/watching them on TV has the power to completely negate any inklings of unhappiness. And heading to the Bank for a game? Awfully close to paradise.

4. Ate a fresh, cheap soft pretzel, followed by a real, actual hoagie, all chased down with a delicious, delightful Tastykake or substitute a cheesesteak for all of that. None of these are exactly exclusive to the fine city of Philadelphia. However, all of them are somehow much, much better here.

5. Heard the "E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles" chant. It comes up a lot at baseball games, actually. I can't say that I understand it, but that's the way it seems to be.

6. Rode on SEPTA. That almost seems like cheating, since it's the Philly area transit system, but it's also pretty much the definition of distinctly Philly activities. I'm a big fan of mass transportation, but I've gotta say, there's nothing all that special about SEPTA. But, again, that's sort of Philly-in-a-nutshell for you.

7. Drove on the Schuykill Expressway and the Blue Route. Not everything is roses and happiness. It can't be argued any other way than that driving on these roads goes with the living-in-the-Philly-region territory. And knowing how to pronounce the first one guarantees that you're a native.

No comments: