31 August 2007

11: My Favorite Phillies at the Moment

I'll do my best to constrain this to logic, but sometimes there's just love for no reason.

1. Tadahito Iguchi. I'm sort of stunned to realize that the guy they got to cover for Utley rocks as hardcore as Iguchi does, but talk about speed, base-running skills, and defense. Utley's back now, but Iguchi is still on fire. I love it.

2. Chase Utley. Back and on top of things. He could not have had a hotter game in his return to the Phils. Plus, he's super cute. (Yes, I used that as an argument.)

3. Ryan Howard. Home runs. Strike outs. He seems to be hitting one of the two lately, but the home runs out-shine the strike outs, in my book. Tuesday's walk-off home run in the 10th was pretty sweet.

4. Aaron Rowand. That 40-foot single on Tuesday was also awesome. Mostly, though, the guy just plays with so much heart, it's inspiring.

5. Chris Coste. Speaking of playing with heart: this guy. He might be the second-string catcher, but he definitely rates in my book. And he contributes when they play him.

6. Jayson Werth. He's no Shane Victorino, despite playing in right field, that's for sure, but as we learned with Iguchi, replacements can rock, too.

7. Pat Burrell. I'll admit, I've been frustrated with him in the past. However, the second half of this season has made me realize why he's on the roster. I had hoped it meant that he'd be trade-able, but now I'm thinking keeping him might not be such a bad idea.

8. Shane Victorino. Talk about speed. And general awesomeness, even if occasionally tripped up by an errant field-side bullpen.

9. Kyle Kendrick. It's rather heartening to see a young pitcher do way better than anyone ever expected him to, simply because he's giving it his all.

10. Jimmy Rollins. C'mon, it's J. Roll. The occasional lead-off home-run just cements what he does for the team, both at the top of the line-up and at shortstop.

11. Harry Kalas. My list, my rules. He might just be an announcer, but I've realized this summer just how much I absolutely adore listening to him call games. I love baseball in and of itself, and I owe that to a lot of people and circumstances. Harry Kalas on the radio makes that list. Plus, his middle name is Norbert. Heh.

No comments: